Note to all potential companions:
At your personal interview, you will be asked to read through and initial the rules of Camp Quality USA, Inc. The following are some of those rules.
I understand and agree that:
- I may not discuss alternative medicine with any child at camp.
- Medical Staff ONLY must administer all medicine for campers, including such things as removal of splinters, treatment of minor cuts, headache tablets, etc.!!!
- I understand and agree I will not bring tobacco, alcohol or illegal drugs to camp.
- I agree not to press any particular health food or diet on any child at camp.
- Caring for a large group of children with cancer is, in itself, stressful.The only way to relieve some of this stress is to ensure every companion assigned to care for a child, fully understands the demands of their role.The safety and happiness of the camper ALWAYS COMES FIRST! If I am assigned as a companion, I fully understand that if I do not care for my camper as instructed, I will be asked to leave camp.
- I understand that no expression of religion may be initiated or promoted by camp staff.
- Even though rest periods are rarely popular with the youth, I agree to observe horizontal rest periods.
- Any and all equipment I bring to camp is entirely my responsibility. If necessary, I will ensure adequate insurance coverage for loss or damage, which may occur at camp.
- I understand that specific personnel have been assigned to handle media coverage. I will not contact the media, nor release any names, photographs, or articles without first securing written permission of the camp director.
- I understand that I may not bring any of my own children under 18 years to camp.
- I understand that I must attend a Staff Training Workshop before I can be assigned a staff position. I agree to attend the orientation meeting held at the campground prior to the start of camp. (You will be notified of dates and times.)
What really makes Camp Quality unique is that a one-on-one companion is assigned to every child who registers for summer camp. Compantions must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Their dedication and commitment is the backbone of our program. In order to APPLY to be a companion, you need to:
*Complete a CampDoc application (link below)
*Submit three reference names (on the CampDoc application)
*Pass a background check
*Complete a face-to-face interview
*Be invited to participate as a volunteer by Camp Quality staff
*Complete mandatory staff training
*Accept the obligations of Camp Quality
A camper's "best friend for the week" is their Camp Quality Companion. The caring and supportive relationship between the pair begins before camp, and continues to be fostered throughout the year. In many cases, Camp Quality kids develop such strong friendships with their companions that they ask to be matched up year after year.
We seek caring adults who want to build a friendship with a special child. Companions are fun to be with, adventuresome, great listeners, and are always sharing their love for life.
In addition to Companions, a variety of other staff are required, such as event planning, crafts, special programming, and medical.